ads

Going Full Bears Nerd

OK, I'll admit it.

While walking my Baby this morning, I was one of those middle aged nerds who was sporting a matching sweatshirt, scarf and hat.  Had you seen my socks, you would have seen that they also feature the Chicago Bears logo and name.

My Bears clothing items.
Over the many years of my Chicago sports fandom, I have taken great pains not to look like that much of a nerd.  Ten years ago, had I seen a guy in his late forties walking around with all Cubs, Bulls, Bears, Blackhawks or White Sox garb, or matching college garb, I would have rightfully thought him a dork.
I am that dork.

My beloved Bears have not been in a playoff game for eight long years.  Back when our lovely daughter was only seven, when our son was only twelve.  My wife and I were both four-oh years old.

They lost that game on January 23rd to the hated Packers.  I was wearing my "My favorite team is Da Bears...and whoever is playing the Packers" tee-shirt.  It was new at the time, but did not help the Bears overcome their hated rivals like I thought it would.

I now admit that I only accomplished a very mere fraction of what I had wanted to this weekend.  My greatest accomplishment may have been yesterday's post detailing the $3,700 in expenditures that my family made from the 24th through the 29th last month as we traveled from suburbia to Evanston, from Evanston to Midway Airport, from Midway Airport to Las Vegas, from Las Vegas to Lake Havasu City and back again.

I had planned on listing about twenty more items on eBay last night, right at the time when my wife informed me that she and my son were starting to watch A Clockwork Orange.  If you are unfamiliar with this twisted film, Beethoven plays a major role and our son being a big fan, I thought that he would find it interesting.


That after watching Bruce Almighty earlier in the day

Friday night, my wife basically demanded a movie date (at home), which was good of her to do.  She said that we could watch anything but the Bulls game (that I had intended to watch before she said that).  We ended up watching Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, which our son watched with us and we all enjoyed.

Thus, even though I had not anticipated watching any movies this weekend, we ended up watching three of them.  I spent well over six hours consuming content while creating nothing new and did not list one new item this weekend.

This all before I watch the Bears first playoff game in eight years two hours from now.

So please forgive that I am not writing about anything money-, book- or food-related.

After the Cubs won it all in fall of 2016, every relative of mine gave me a World Series champion shirt.  For my birthday, for Hanukkah and for Christmas.  Thus, due to my long-suffering decades of being a Cubs fan and my many years of purchasing and being given Cubs gear, I still own more Cubs stuff than Bears, but not by much.

I have long parted with much of the Bulls championship year stuff, GarPax now having run this once-proud franchise into the ground with empty promises of improving once their "young core" meshes and plays better.

But there is no need to make playoff watching plans for the Bulls for at least another three or four years, and then they will undoubtedly be promptly disposed of by a team with better scouting, coaching and leadership.

Sorry GarPax, but you are not the third coming of Theo Epstein or Ryan Pace.

Enough with the negative, more of the positive.

I cannot wait to watch today's Bears victory and what I think will be a strong run through the postseason.

Go Bears!

Comments