ads

Sheds, Tumbles and Plunges

The Down Tumbles 640!





The Dow Sheds 700!

Dow Tumbles 800!








Ho hum.

The masters of the world and financiers decided to panic on Tuesday due to blah blah blah...

Cramer says the computers and their algorithms caused the markets to crash blah blah blah...


In what has become commonplace these days, the market plunged two days ago.

As per my usual, I had a long and stressful day at work, but my evening was fantastic, as I drove my mother over to my son's college to hear him and his band play some awesome Dixieland jazz with a prominent trumpet player.  It was one of the best concerts that I have attended in years, and it was "free" insofar as that nobody was required to purchase a ticket to attend it.

"Free" in quotes because, after all, I am shelling out thirty big ones plus additional hundreds and extra thousands here and there for additional fees, travel money, spending cash and the like.  Not to mention a vintage professional model new trumpet that ran five grand early this semester.

Nothing is really free; a lesson that would be well-learned for the more liberal among us.

But I digress.

While I toiled for the Man for nine hours, wolfed down a quick dinner with my wife and daughter (our daughter had a holiday concert at her high school, which my wife attended) and then drove my mother to the concert and enjoyed it with her, I "lost" about six grand in our investments.

Again.

Again the quotes around "lost" because I have not really sold any of our holdings that plunged yet, although I will be selling some shares in a few days.  Truth be told, our investments most likely shed more than six grand in value, but I truly do not care to look.  That is just a guesstimate.

I did check my IRA before doing what I do, which is buying into this dip, and I saw that account alone lost nearly two thousand in value on Tuesday.

Ouch!

Seeing as how I plan on working for the Man until I am at least FatFire 55, I have at least seven more years, more likely twelve, before I cash out any shares in my IRA.

So I did what a far wiser mensch than myself would do.

As that f*cking idiot, Cramer, would shout about a stock that he likes...


Not ever planning on heeding any of Cramer's advice again as long as I shall live, I thought more of what the far wiser mensch, the Oracle of Omaha, would do.

When others are being fearful, like on Tuesday, he says to get greedy.
So greedy I got.

Even though I did not make it home until very late Tuesday night, nearly into this morning, I put in a buy order into my IRA.

I am going to continue Paying Ourselves First come Hell or high water.  Thus, even though I typically put a buy order into my Roth IRA every other Thursday night preceding my pay day, which is coming in a few days, I thought it wise to place the order after both of the funds comprising my IRA lost several percentage points.


I still mail my wife's IRA investments to Vanguard old-school via investment slips.  I have not signed her IRA up electronically because, technically, it is not mine although I opened the account and am the only person who has ever sent funds to it.  Also, it would be yet another online account that I may lose track of and could become susceptible to hackers.

The humor in this is that, like the markets being closed today due to a day of mourning for George Bush the First, the post office was also closed so the normally slow snail mail will be even one day slower.

By the time Vanguard cashes the check that I sent to my wife's IRA, the market would have fluctuated back and forth hundreds if not thousands of points.

But that is not my point.

My point is the same as before.  I bought into this bloodbath again like I did two months ago because I believe that the most important thing for regular worker bee guys and gals like me is to consistently fund your retirement accounts no matter what the market happens to be doing.

I made the mistake ten years ago of ceasing our investments while the markets were way down, only starting again once the Dow regained its glitter throughout late 2009.

These days when I see the markets plunge, shed and tumble, I think to myself that I cannot wait to go home and pay me and my wife first.




Comments